The Ministry of Tourism took a review meeting of the “Adopt a Heritage: Apni Dharohar, Apni Pehchaan” project.
What is Adopt a Heritage Scheme?
- The ‘Adopt a Heritage: Apni Dharohar, Apni Pehchaan’ scheme is an initiative of the Ministry of Tourism, in collaboration with the Ministry of Culture and the Archaeological Survey of India.
- It was launched in September 2017 on World Tourism Day.
- Under it, the government invites entities, including public sector companies, private sector firms as well as individuals, to develop selected monuments and heritage and tourist sites across India.
- Aim: The project aims to encourage companies from the public sector, private sector, trusts, NGOs, individuals, and other stakeholders to become ‘Monument Mitras’.
- The Monument Mitras are selected by the ‘oversight and vision committee,’ co-chaired by the Tourism Secretary and the Culture Secretary, on the basis of the bidder’s ‘vision’ for development of all amenities at the heritage site.
Present status and progress
- Under the project, 27 Memorandum of Understandings (MoUs) have been awarded to 12 Monument Mitras for twenty-five (25) sites and two (2) Technological interventions across India.
- Under the MoUs handed over for implementation of amenities includes basic facilities such as Dustbin; Public Conveniences; Clean drinking water facility; Illumination; Ease of Access; Aesthetics and cleanliness of site; Bench Installations, Waste Management; App based Multi lingual Audio Guide; Installation of Digi Kiosk and Ticketing Kiosk; Signage -Descriptive and directional; Wi-Fi.
Recent efforts to boost tourism
- Swadesh Darshan
- PRASHAD Scheme
- Ek Bharat, Shresth Bharat
- Dekho Apna Desh
|In the year 2019, India’s rank in Travel and Tourism Competitiveness Index of World Economic Forum has moved to 34th position from 65th rank in 2013.Foreign Tourist Arrivals also registered a growth of 3.2 percent last year.|