How to prepare Art and Culture for UPSC IAS Exam | Art and Culture Syllabus For UPSC & Preparation Strategy
Preparation Strategy for Art and Culture For UPSC Prelims & Mains
Art & Culture is a very wide topic and hence it is important that you stick to the syllabus and study only the relevant portions. Here’re some of the main components of art and culture preparation for UPSC:
1. Basic Concepts of Art and Culture Syllabus for UPSC
History textbooks of Class VI and VII and XI and XII (NCERTs) cover ancient and medieval history that should be studied for building a strong foundation. Apart from that fine arts textbook of Class XI should be studied in detail for the art-forms specifically.
2. Read Standard Book for covering Art and Culture Syllabus For UPSC
Next, read Indian Art & Culture by Nitin Singhania and revise it multiple times to have the names at your fingertips. Rote learning is an important part of the preparation strategy for Art & Culture.
3. Leverage Online resources For Preparing Art and Culture For UPSC
Follow the official website of CCRT(Centre for Cultural Resources & Training) for all the important updates, pib website for information on GI tags, and other important information on recent cultural festivals and programs.
Specified under the syllabus of General Studies I for UPSC Civil Services Mains, Art & Culture is one of the important topics in the Civil Services preparation. The UPSC syllabus mentions the art and culture syllabus in just one line “Salient features of Literature, Art Forms, and Architecture from ancient to modern times”. However, after carefully analyzing the UPSC past year papers, we have listed down important micro-topics that should be studied for Art and Culture syllabus for UPSC preparation.
Booklist for preparing Art and Culture Syllabus For UPSC
- NCERT History– Class VI and VII and Class XI and Class XII
- NCERT Fine Arts – Class XI
- Indian Art & Culture by Nitin Singhania
- ‘Facets of Indian Culture’ by Spectrum
- Newspapers (The Hindu), Monthly Current Affairs, India Year Book
- Website – ccrt.gov.in